Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Pages in Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

  1. Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs
  1. Guidance, links and contacts

A broad definition of "social care" means help and support - both personally and practically - which can enable people to lead as independent a life as possible. Social care covers a wide range of services, which can be provided by universal services - available to all - or by specialist services identified through formal processes, such as a CAF (common assessment framework) or Child in Need assessment.

In these pages we've tried to accumulate as much information as possible, both locally and nationally, to help find the right information, advice and support for children, young people and their families. This also includes national charities and voluntary organisations that support families with things like equipment, resources and respite care.   

The Local Offer

The Coventry Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Local Offer brings together information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families. The SEND Local Offer covers services available to the public across education, health and social care:

  • Education: such as nurseries, playgroups, schools and colleges and support services like educational psychologists and SEN services
  • Health: children's and adult services including GPs, therapists and hospital services
  • Social care: such as short break services and children's and adult disability services.

Details of social care services for children and young people with Special Educational Needs contained within the Local Offer.

Coventry City Council Services for Children & Young People

Further support for families in Coventry

 You can also find further information, advice and support through:

Relevant Acts and Statutory Guidance

The relevant guidance for children and young people (up to the age of 18) with SEND is found in the Children and Families Act 2014. There is also a "Young Persons Guide to the Children and Families Act 2014" which explains the Act in easy to understand terms and could easily be used by adults as well. 

Care Act 2014

For young people over the age of 18, statutory duties are laid out in the Care Act 2014. The Act seeks to:

  • makes provision to reform the law relating to care and support for adults and the law relating to support for carers;
  • to make provision about safeguarding adults from abuse or neglect;
  • to make provision about care standards;
  • to establish and make provision about Health Education England;
  • to establish and make provision about the Health Research Authority;
  • to make provision about integrating care and support with health services and for connected purposes.

Download a copy of the Care Act 2014.

Statutory guidance

Other Government guidance

The Role of Social Care in Implementing the Children and Families Act

A guide for strategic leaders in children's and adults services, front line managers, social workers and staff working in social care assessment teams.

  • Part 1 - gives an overview of the legal framework 
  • Part 2 - provides information specifically for frontline managers and social workers

Although this guide is aimed primarily at people working to support families, it is a useful reading tool for anybody. 

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Open Mon - Thurs 9am - 5pm. Fri - 9am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7669 4307


Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Is there anything wrong with this page?