Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Pages in Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

  1. Social care information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs
  1. Guidance, links and contacts

Guidance, links and contacts


For help and advice at any time for any problem. Visit the Childline website.

The All-age Disability Team

The All-age Disability team has a specialist social care service for children with disabilities and their families where the disability is having a significant impact on family functioning.

The Children's Disability Register is a confidential list of names and basic information about children with disabilities, special or additional needs.

The Children Act 1989 required all local authorities to establish a register of children with a disability in their area. This will then be used to assist service planning to meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families. Children's names are added to the register at their parent's request, and in return parents can receive information about services available in their area.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs

Contact a Family

A UK wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children. Visit the Contact a Family website  for further information. E-mail: [email protected].

Coram Children's Legal Centre

Council For Disabled Children

My Rights - Your Responsibility - Your child's rights to be included. Printed leaflets are available from the The Council for Disabled Children,

Coventry Law Centre

Access Able Website

The Access Able website provides online access guides for venues across the UK and Ireland, and was set up in partnership with Marks and Spencer.

Disability grants

Do you have a Disability?  Are you a parent or carer of a Disabled child or adult?

If so, use this website to save time finding Disability Grants.

Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living.

Disability and The Equality Act 2010

The Equalities Act 2010 aims to protect disabled people and prevent disability discrimination.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced Technical Guidance that outlines the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 for schools in relation to the provision of education and access to benefits, facilities or services, both educational and non-educational. 

For further information regarding reasonable adjustments including auxiliary aids and services visit the Equality and Human Rights website.

Contact a Family have also produced a guide to help families obtain aids, equipment and/or adaptations for children. Some items, such as mobility aids or special beds, are expensive and the range available is vast. This guide has information on how to obtain equipment from statutory sources and where to go for further advice. It also has sources of information on equipment for play and leisure, second hand equipment, financial help, VAT relief on equipment, help adapting your home, and useful contacts.

Family Fund

The Family Fund helps families with severely disabled children to have choices and the opportunity to enjoy ordinary life. Visit the Family Fund website.

Is there anything wrong with this page?