Health and Wellbeing Board
Coventry Health and Wellbeing Board
What is the Coventry Health and Wellbeing Board?
Coventry's Health and Wellbeing Board is a meeting place for local commissioners across the NHS, people in public health and social care, councillors and representatives of HealthWatch.
When does the Board meet?
Coventry's Health and Wellbeing Board meets formally on a quarterly basis. Members of the public can come and observe the meetings. The Board has regular development sessions with a wider range of stakeholders.
What does the Board do?
The group work to improve the health and wellbeing of local people and reduce health inequalities. The members of the board work together to understand their local community's needs, agree priorities and encourage commissioners to work in a more joined up way and so offer better services. The board is an important part of the wider plans to make the NHS work better by strengthening working relationships between health and social care; encourage the development of more joined-up services; and giving communities a greater say in understanding and addressing local health and care needs. Duties of the Board includes:
- providing a strategic influence over commissioning decisions across health, public health and social care;
- involving democratically elected representatives and patient representatives in commissioning decisions, alongside commissioners across health and social care;
- providing a forum for challenge, discussion and the involvement of local people;
- bringing together clinical commissioning groups and councils to develop a shared understanding of the health and wellbeing needs of the community;
- undertaking the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA) and developing a joint strategy for how these needs can be best addressed. This will include recommendations for joint commissioning and integrating services across health and care; and
- driving local commissioning of health care, social care and public health and create a more effective and responsive local health and care system. Other services that impact on health and wellbeing such as housing and education provision will also be addressed.
Find out more