Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO)
Public Spaces Protection Order (City Centre) 2016
This Order is made by Coventry City Council ("the Council") under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, Section 59 ("the Act").
- This Order relates to the public space within the area edged in red on the plan of Coventry City Centre which appears at Appendix One, being public space in the Council's area to which the Act applies ("the Restricted Area").
- The Council is satisfied that the two conditions below have been met, in that:
- activities carried on in the restricted area as described below have had a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality, or it is likely that these activities will be carried on in the public place and they will have such an effect;
- the effect, or likely effect, of the activities is, or is likely to be, of a persistent or continuing nature, is, or is likely to be, such as to make the activities unreasonable, and justifies the restrictions imposed by the Order.
By this Order
- The effect of the Order is to impose the following prohibitions and/or requirements in the Restricted Area at all times, unless specifically stated:
Any person is prohibited from begging. The act of begging is deemed as either approaching people for money, or being stationary and directly asking for money, or positioned on the floor to invite the offer of money or goods.
- Peddling / Street Trading
Any person is prohibited from, at any time, peddling/trading goods within the restricted area without an appropriate street trading consent issued by the Council.
- Distribution of publicity materials
Any person is prohibited from distributing any materials for commercial gain unless they have the appropriate prior permission of the Council. Registered charities and religious organisations are exempt.
- Charity or Commercial Subscription Collectors
Any person is prohibited from, soliciting for the completion of subscription charity collections. Exemptions are granted on land within the area marked in blue detailed on the plan of Coventry City Centre. Appropriate permission to carry out cash collections in the City Centre should be obtained from the Council in advance.
- Buskers and Street Performers
Any person is prohibited from performing contrary to the Coventry City Centre Code of Conduct for Buskers.
Any person skateboarding or cycling must do so in a careful and considerate manner and must dismount if requested to do so by an enforcing officer when continuing to ride would cause a danger to the public or public offence. Failure to comply will leave them liable to enforcement.
Offences under this Public Space Protection Order:
- A person who is guilty of an offence shall on summary conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
- A Fixed Penalty Notice of £100.00 will be issued to offenders (reduced to £60.00 if paid within 14 days) which would discharge any liability to conviction for an offence under Section 67(1) of the Act.
- This order may be cited as 'The Public Space Protection Order (City Centre)’ and shall come into force on 17 July 2017 and remain in force for a period of three years.
Information about how the PSPO is being enforced can be found below: