Schools Library and Resource Service
Reading for Pleasure
With the increased focus being placed on schools to increase reading for pleasure amongst their pupils Coventry School Library Service has developed some new packages which are designed to support schools in doing this. These packages are ideal for schools that want to buy books for their school library rather than having loans but will equally complement schools who already have a subscription with SLS as this would be in addition to the resources you already receive.
Reading for Pleasure Package
This is a great way to keep your library collection up to date with a regular addition of new titles and all the information you need should you want to invest in purchasing additional books for your school. It includes:
- Termly Reading Update Service
- 25 books delivered at the beginning on each term selected by our specialist librarians from the Reading Update lists (from the end of the previous term) to add to your school library to keep your fiction collection up to date, relevant and diverse. The books selected will reflect a range of reading abilities and tastes and offer your students a wider choice of reading for pleasure material than just the standard best seller books and celebrity authors.
The cost to the school is £600 per annum and for this the school saves nearly a hundred pounds on the cost of the elements if bought individually as well as having the expert guidance of our specialist education librarians choosing the books for you.
Upgrade to the Silver package and in addition you will receive
- 3 sets of Book Awards (Primary’s receive What’s the Story, Telling Tales, Hooked on Books and Secondary’s receive Hooked on Books, Simply the Book and Rapid Reads)
The cost to the school for this package is £775 per annum
Upgrade to the Gold package and in addition you will receive
- 3 sets of Book Awards (Primaries receive What’s the Story, Telling Tales, Hooked on Books and Secondary’s receive Hooked on Books, Simply the Book and Rapid Reads)
- 3 Termly up to 1-hour book talks from one of the SLS librarians. This can be used however the school would like. For example, it could be used to do several shorter sessions with year groups or individual classes, or it could be used as staff CPD in an after school meeting or INSET day to give staff a roundup of the books selected and delivered to the school so that they can then cascade it to their classes.
The cost to the school is £900 per annum
If you feel your school library could do with more of an overhaul then please have a look at our Library Refresh Packages which are now available. Takes all the hassle out of revamping your school library!
If you want some help getting your school library safely open again in September we can help. Have a look at our new Making your library safe to use package
A termly update on the latest fiction and non-fiction titles which have been reviewed and recommended by the professional children’s librarians at SLS. This includes:
- 1 meeting each term where staff can look at the selected books and hear the SLS librarian's reviews
- A set of notes for both the fiction and non-fiction books that include relevant information e.g. reading age, book banding colours or Accelerated Reader information (sent electronically)
See an example of the notes you would receive.