Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Gambling licences

Gambling Act 2005 - Temporary use and occasional use notices

These allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. Premises that might be suitable would include hotels, conference centres and sporting venues.

A Temporary use notice (TUN) may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant operating licence.

A TUN must be lodged with the licensing authority not less than three months and one day before the day on which the gambling event will begin. Copies of the notice must be copied to:

  • The Gambling Commission.
  • The Police.
  • HM Commissioners for Revenue and Customs.
  • If applicable, any other licensing authority in the area that the premises are situated.

The bodies that receive copies of the notice will consider whether they wish to give notice of objection.

The same set of premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12 month period. If the premises have been the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days the licensing authority must issue a counter-notice to stop the TUN.

A copy of the TUN must be displayed prominently on the premises.

Occasional use notices

The Gambling Act 2005 provides that where there is betting on a track on eight days or less in a calendar year, an occasional use notice may permit betting without the need for a full premises licence. The processes set out in the Act for applying for an occasional use notice are different to those for temporary use notices.

Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than eight days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be submitted.

A notice must be served by a person who is responsible for the administration on the track or by an occupier of the track.  The notice must be served on the licensing authority and copied to the chief officer of police for the area in which the track is located. The notice must specify the day on which it has effect. Notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of eight days is not exceeded in the calendar year

Facilitating betting in pubs and clubs is illegal

The Licensing Team have recently received lots of enquiries regarding "Race Days" in pubs and clubs across the city and whether their premises licence/club premises certificate would permit them to hold such events. This guidance has been produced by the Gambling Commission and provides you with all the facts and information regarding betting in licensed premises.

Licensing team

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8.30am - 5pm Friday: 8.30am - 4.30pm


Tel: 024 7697 5496


Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?