Making a complaint about rented accommodation

Licensing of private rented accommodation

Some houses in multiple occupation require a licence from the Council to operate and a Council may make an Order requiring any privately rented property within an area of the city to be licensed with the Council.

The Council keeps a public register of all licences issued. If you wish to know if a house is licensed please contact HMO Licensing.

We have recently consulted on proposals relating to Selective Licensing in certain wards, which will require all privately rented properties within the designated area to be licensed; and Additional Licensing across the city, which will require all HMOs with fewer than five persons to be licensed.  The consultation has now closed, but you can read the details of the proposals at

HMO licensing

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7697 5467

Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Customer Services

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Tel: 08085 834333


If you do need to call us,
please try to avoid our busiest times
of lunchtime and early afternoon.

Is there anything wrong with this page?