Student housing

Renting a house

Many students find somewhere to live through letting agents.

You usually need to register with them before they offer you any accommodation. You can register with more than one letting agency at a time. They must not charge you for registering.

All letting agencies should give you clear information about their charges before you agree to take up a tenancy. Shop around as these fees can vary.

Don't hand over any money until you're sure what it's for. Always get a receipt.

It may be a good idea to speak to your student union, as they may be able to advise you on the best agents to use.

Things to consider when choosing your property 

Before choosing your property consider:

  • The location and how easy it is to get from there to your lectures
  • Who you will live with. It is important that you get on with the other people. This may be difficult to tell if you don't know the people you are sharing with.
  • Do you need parking?
  • Is the property in good condition?
  • If it is a shared house occupied by five or more people and is three storeys or more high, is it licensed by the Council?
  • Is the property managed well by the landlord? Ask if the property or the landlord is accredited or a member of a professional landlord or letting organisation. 
  • Ensure the Letting Agent has registered with a Redress Scheme.
  • Are there any other charges such as Council Tax or utility bills to consider?
  • Can you afford the total cost?

Housing Enforcement

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 08085 834333


Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?