Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Payment system upgrade - 27 February until 2 March

Our online payment system will be unavailable this weekend due to essential maintenance. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Find out how you may be affected

Student housing

Shared houses and licensing

It is likely that you will be sharing your accommodation with other students and you will therefore be living in a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

  • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

If this is the case, your landlord must meet certain standards and obligations.


If your rented house has five or more people living in it, these people are not related to each other, and you share the use of a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory, your landlord will need to have applied for an HMO Licence.  This applies whether you and your housemates all have one tenancy agreement, or have separate tenancy agreements.  

We are also consulting on plans relating to Additional Licensing, which will require all HMOs to be licensed, even if they have fewer than five tenants. Find out more and have your say about property licensing.  

Housing Enforcement


Tel: 024 7683 1804


Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?