Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Payment system upgrade - 27 February until 2 March

Our online payment system will be unavailable this weekend due to essential maintenance. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Find out how you may be affected

Student housing


Your letting agent or landlord could ask your parent or guardian to be a guarantor.

Your guarantor will have to pay the bill if you cause damage or don't pay your rent.

If you have a joint tenancy, your guarantor will usually be signing up to cover all the rent that is not paid and all the damage caused. This can seem unfair as they could end up paying up towards the rent even if you had paid all your share.

The only way round this will be if your guarantor signs a written agreement with the landlord saying that their liability is limited to a specified proportion of the rent (or damage). Many landlords will not agree to this.

Your parent or guardian may want to get legal advice about being a guarantor. They may be able to use legal services available through their home insurance, union or employee benefits.

Housing Enforcement


Tel: 024 7683 1804


Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?