Private renting

Moving in

When you move in you should be given a list of everything in the property belonging to the landlord and its condition. This is called an inventory. You should check that every item on list is there and you should note any damage such as cigarette burns on the carpet or chipped paintwork. If you have a camera with a date facility, you could record any damage. Once the list is agreed, sign it before returning it to the agent or landlord and make sure you all keep a copy. When you move out, the contents will be checked against the list and the cost of repairing damage or replacing missing items will be taken from your deposit. Normally, the list will be checked when the last person moves out. The landlord cannot keep back your deposit to cover the cost of normal "wear and tear" although there might be different views on what "wear and tear" is.

Before you move in check that the landlord or agent has given you the following documents:

  • Gas safety check - record before moving in or within 28 days of undertaking a check
  • Energy Performance Certificate - (does not apply to shared houses on multiple tenancies, hall of residence, boarding houses, residential homes, hostels and hotels) 
  • Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme - Landlords must protect their tenants' deposits using a TDP scheme if they have let the property on an assured shorthold tenancy


Customer Services

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Tel: 08085 834333


If you do need to call us,
please try to avoid our busiest times
of lunchtime and early afternoon.

Is there anything wrong with this page?