Business Builder Scheme
Coventry Market's Business Builder scheme is designed to help you build up your long-term customer base whilst receiving some discounts on our usual charges. The scheme is open to anyone who wishes to establish or expand a business within Coventry Market. Also the commodity you wish to trade in must be either under or not represented within the market.
- For an initial period of 16 weeks the following scheme rate will apply: £50 per week. One week's notice applies on either side.
- Electricity and water charges etc. (for business use) are the tenant's responsibility. Business rates are charged separately although you may be eligible to receive rate relief.
- For the following period of 6 months the scheme rates are £90 per week (other space chargeable if available). During this period charges for electricity and water, where applicable, will be transferred into your name. One week's notice applies on either side.
- At the end of Business Builder, applicants may be offered a six month or longer lease at the regular rate. Full rent of £130 per week (£10 extra per shuttered stall, other space chargeable if available) will then apply.
- The scheme rates are only available January – August. Traders commencing after 1 September may be charged the regular rate of £130 per week, but may be offered the discounted rate in January of the following year.
- Rent is due weekly throughout both phases of the Business Builder period. No arrears are permissible during the Business Builder Scheme. Payment will then be by direct debit.
Stall rent charges
Standard Rate – £130.00 per week. Available to traders selling goods of a general nature.
Business Builder scheme - £50.00 per week (for 16 weeks), £90.00 per week (for 6 months). May be offered to both new traders or existing traders expanding their business.
Daily Rate - £30.00 per day. Daily traders selling new goods of a general nature.
Daily traders in second-hand goods, £15.00 per day, £75.00 per week. Examples – stamps postcards/collectables/retro clothing/collectable china etc.
Shuttered stalls are charged at £10 per stall (Business Builder Shutters charged after the discount period)
Discounted rates only available to sole traders.
Daily Traders not to leave goods on the stall overnight or secure the stall with their own locks.
These charges can be varied at any time.
- Applicants are required to give the City Council permission to seek a financial reference (bank status enquiry) either before commencing Business Builder or prior to commencing a full tenancy in due course.
- A deposit equivalent to 2 weeks rent is required prior to occupation of a stall. The deposit will be allocated to the first 2 weeks rent.
- Traders cannot take occupation of their stall until a suitable form of photo ID, a recent utility bill and proof of insurance have been received at the Market Office
- No changes may be made to the structure of the stall.
- Traders will be expected to abide by the Bylaws and Code of Conduct whilst trading in the Market. Anyone who has previously broken these rules will have their application refused.
- New traders must regularly attend their stall, in person, for the major market days of each week. i.e. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Traders must maintain a safe environment for all Traders, Council staff and members of the public. This includes ensuring all portable electrical and high-risk electrical equipment on their stall has been tested in accordance with the Electricity at Work regulations 1989.
- Traders are responsible for their own rubbish removal into the chute and required to keep clear and safe the area around the allocated stall.
- A stall appointed to the Business Builder scheme cannot be transferred to any other person, nor there a right of assignment for any short-term leases subsequently offered.
- The City Council reserves the right to cancel Business Builder Scheme with no notice.
- Where a stall holder is offering a service, sale or advice which requires professional competency we require proof that the stall holder is either formally qualified, apprenticed, or has sufficient work experience in that area.Managers will expect the advice given will be to a standard that is both safe and reasonable for a customer to expect.
View the full document