The different types of fostering
Next Steps Therapeutic Fostering Scheme
Are you Ready for the Next Steps?
Coventry City Council’s fostering service are recruiting people to join a small team of dedicated foster carers. Fostering on the Next Steps scheme means you will provide care and support for one of Coventry’s most vulnerable children and young people in your home.
Through the adoption of a therapeutic approach on a 1:1 basis, children and young people on the scheme can receive a level of nurture and support to help them to take their next steps onto positive pathways.
Foster carers on the scheme will join our small dedicated team, with bespoke training and support packages as well as 1:1 and peer supervision
To be eligible to be assessed for the scheme you should be able to demonstrate:
- At least 2 years’ experience of caring for or working with young people with challenging behaviour (or similar)
- No other under 18-year olds living with you
- One carer in the household will be home based (recognition of this is reflected in the financial package)
- Insight and understanding about trauma, abuse, neglect, autism and mental health
- With our support and training, the ability to manage and support a young person who is likely, due to their experiences, to display challenging behaviours, in your home
- Ability to work positively as part of a wider team of professionals
- Adaptability and willingness to learn and implement new approaches
- High level of empathy
- Commitment and motivation to care for a young person who might have had multiple placement breakdowns
In return the scheme offers:
- Full initial and ongoing training, personalised to your needs and based on a social pedagogical model
- Dedicated support from a senior social worker and support workers
- Access to our 24/7 emergency telephone support service provided by our team
- To recognise the commitment required for this scheme, a financial package of up to £43K per annum (including costs for caring for the young person) is offered.
You can view our brochure about this scheme, or book onto our next information event, or apply online.