2 year old Funding Entitlement
Some 2 year olds in Coventry will be eligible to get an entitlement of up to 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year - very similar to the three school terms.
This can be taken up with any Early Years provider such as a childminder, nursery or pre-school that is registered with both Ofsted and Coventry City Council to offer funded places. Not all early Years Providers do so you will need to check this with the provider you choose. The Coventry Family Information Directory is a free website that contains information about Early Years providers in Coventry.
To qualify for a 2 year old funding code you must be receiving one of the following UK benefits or universal credits:
Eligibility Route 1
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) ( Evidence must be provided and dated within the last 12 months of this application)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit must be higher than £535.00 per annum and household income less than £16,190 per annum Award Notice TC602
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income not over £16,190
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Working Tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
- Universal Credit with a combined income of less than £15,400 a year after tax
- Pension Credit ( Guarantee Element) and proof of Child Tax Credit
Eligibility Route 2
Parents or carers with legal responsibility who do not meet any of the above financial criteria, may be eligible if they meet one or more of the conditions below. You will be required to submit documentary evidence when applying.
The child you are applying for has/is:
- Is looked after by Coventry City Council (for example by a Foster Carer). Evidence – A letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth.
- Has a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education health and care plan (EHCP). Evidence – a letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth regarding the EHCP awarded.
- Receives Disability Living Allowance for the child who you are making the application for. Evidence – award letter for DLA.
- Has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order. Evidence – a letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth or Special guardianship, adoption or residence order from the court.
- Is being supported through an Early Help Plan. Evidence - a letter from relevant person regarding the Early Help Plan with the child’s name and date of birth (Local Criteria).
- Is supported through a child protection plan or child in need plan - a personalised letter from the lead Social Worker would be required as evidence (Local Criteria).
- Has a diagnosed syndrome, condition or disability that significantly affects the ability to access learning or has a delay of at least 6 months in 2 or more areas of development. Evidence – a letter from a relevant professional working with the family regarding the SEN criteria . (Local Criteria)
||When you can claim
|1 January and 31 March
||the start of the summer term following their second birthday
|1 April and 31 August
||the start of the autumn term following their second birthday
|1 September and 31 December
||the start of the spring term following their second birthday
Some Early Years providers may be able to offer less hours per week for more weeks during the year for example 11 hours a week for 50 weeks a year. This way the childcare could also be taken up during holiday periods. Not all providers are able to do this so please check with them when you ask them about the two year old funded place. This would be called a stretched offer.
Here is more guidance on the 2-year-old funding entitlement for you to read if you wish.
Think you and your child may be eligible? Parents and carers with legal responsibility of two year olds or children that are nearly two, can Apply for a Two Year Old Funding code.