Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Provider resources

Closure of a childcare business

Notifying Ofsted - intention to resign

If you no longer wish to be an Ofsted registered provider, you need to resign your registration. You should let Ofsted know by telephone or in writing that you intend to resign. Ofsted will write to you to confirm receipt of your resignation. You should not assume that Ofsted have taken you off the register, for example if you do not pay the annual fee. If you do not pay the fee, Ofsted will cancel your registration if you do not tell them you want to resign.

If you decide to resign when an inspector arrives at your premises, you should tell the inspector of your decision before the inspection begins and complete the resignation request form. You can download this form from the Ofsted website or ask your inspector for a hard copy.

Notifying the Local Authority

You will need to inform the following:

  • Your designated Local Authority Officer will provide general advice and guidance in relation to the closure process.  The Officer will also be able to provide advice in relation to the implications of any previous grant funding you have received, for example; the re-allocation of resources received as part of grant funding or re-allocation of WellComm Pack, Blast, Chatter box, ITERS, ECCERs books etc  (Transfer of Assets
  • Family Information Directory.  Your setting details will then be removed from the website.
  • Data team or Schools finance team to ensure the funding payment information can be adjusted/terminated appropriately, in relation to interim and actual payments
  • Early Years Business Services (BSC) so that they can update records in line with GDPR
  • Workforce Development Officer to ensure any pre-booked training is cancelled.
  • SEND service – re any children being supported by this service? 

Informing parents and carers

It is important to remain transparent throughout the closure process.  Inform Parent/Carers as soon as possible so that they can organise alternative childcare

For example,

  • Sign post to the Family Information Directory to find alternative childcare.
  • Contact a CQRA who will be able to provide additional support to parents who require it.

Staff and employment

The Staff Team

The Registered Person/Body should contact ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) for free and impartial advice in relation to the rights and legal requirements of employers and employees.

Sign post staff to the Coventry job website and other recruitment organisations to support them seeking employment.

Consider how you will support team members to obtain future employment. For example: application form writing, interview techniques, considering how you will provide references for team members, following the closure of the business.


If you are a registered company you will be required to inform Companies House of the closure.

If committee run organisation you will need to abide by the constitution. Paying particular attention to any closure clauses. You must also Inform charity commission and submit final accounts to them.

Seek advice in relation to the requirements for the retention of records and your system for storing these.  For example; some records must be retained for a period of up to 40 years, therefore consideration should be given as to where these will be confidentially stored and who has continued access to them throughout this time.

Notify other providers of resources for sale.

Coventry Early Years Team


Tel: 024 7697 5451

PO Box 15
Coventry City Council
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?