Transferring to foster with Coventry City Council
Already Fostering? Joining Coventry City Council’s team of Foster Carers is easier than you think!
Every week we receive enquiries from people just like you thinking about transferring over to Coventry. There are many reasons why people prefer to foster with Coventry City Council including:
- We place the children, our foster carers are most likely to have placements - At Coventry City Council we always look to our own team of foster carers to provide placements for the local children in our care . We only look further afield when we have explored every possible solution to meeting the child or children’s needs from our own team first. This means that our foster carers are most likely to get regular placements within their preferred age range.
- We don't make a profit from fostering, our priority is to keep children safe - We are dedicated to keeping our foster carers supported and trained to be able to provide the best possible safe, nurturing care for Coventry children. We want to keep tax-payers money invested into the provision of local quality public services which help support our children and our city.
- We have an extensive, locally delivered, quality training package for the whole team - We understand that foster carers and our staff need a wide range of training opportunities and as the Local Authority we are able to put on a wide range of local, or online when needed, training to cover different issues relevant to foster carers. In Coventry our foster carers and social workers train together which helps share knowledge, nurture relationships and build a shared understanding of some of the challenges as well as rewards of fostering.
- Our local team provides your support 24/7 - All our foster carers benefit from their own allocated supervising social worker, based here in Coventry. Our team of social workers also cover the 24/7 helpline for our foster carers, meaning that you have local, team based support should an issue arise out of hours. As part of our team you also have access to other related support services such as Coventry CaMHS and educational support services when needed.
- We value foster carers experiences and have an excellent financial package - We know that people don’t foster ‘for the money’ but we also understand that money is an important factor in most (if not all!) people’s lives. We, like many fostering services, show our payments as separate parts; the allowance to care for the child and the payment for the care provided (sometimes called 'allowances' and 'fees') Details of these are in our leaflet. We also pay a number of additional payments for additional costs such as holidays and birthdays. We can chat these through with you. Most carers now find this is comparable or better than other fostering agencies- please do speak to us about this if you are unsure about anything as we are very happy to chat about your particular circumstances
- We are a community - Our foster carers are a crucial part of our team. We have an active ‘Coventry Foster Carers’ Association’ which runs a number of events from weekly meet ups, monthly coffee mornings to bigger events when possible. We also run a number of events throughout the year including an annual Fostering Families Celebration Event hosted by The Lord Mayor, Christmas Parties and a formal welcome to the community for all newly approved carers hosted in the historic Council House. All of these events recognise and celebrate the whole ‘fostering family’ including other children in the household, supportive relatives and the social work teams. You can find out more about our events here.
- We offer different schemes and career progression - We are recruiting for different types of fostering including our 'Next Steps' therapeutic scheme. If you have experience of fostering, have no other under 18s in the household and feel ready to work with some of the city's most vulnerable young people in a more 1:1 way, this might be of interest to you. We are also recruiting to our parent and child scheme and looking for foster carers interested in long term fostering. Whatever your specialism or interest, get in touch with us and we can chat through the options.
How do I transfer to Coventry City Council?
- Step One: Ring our Enquiry Line on 024 7683 2828, complete our simple online form, or come along to one of our many information events and drop ins.
- Step Two: We’ll visit you at home and discuss your situation.During Covid restrictions we are completing assessments via online platforms (Microsoft Teams or Zoom)
- Step Three: We'll allocate you a social worker assessment and follow the Fostering Network Transfer Protocol. Meanwhile we will invite you to come along to any training or meet ups that you might find useful
- Step Four: We’ll take your report to Panel for recommendation and approval
- Step Five: You’re part of the team! You will be allocated your own supervising social worker and your family are invited by The Lord Mayor to attend a Welcome Event
Find out more today