West Midlands Ambulance Service (NHS Trust)
Primary areas of responsibility at a major incident are:
- to save life in conjunction with the other emergency services
- to provide treatment, stabilisation and care of those injured at the scene
- to provide sufficient paramedic units
- to establish effective triage points and systems, and determine the priority evacuation needs of those injured
- to provide a focal point at the incident for all NHS and other medical resources
- to provide communication facilities for NHS resources at the scene, with direct communications links to hospitals, control facilities and any other agency as required
- to nominate and alert the receiving hospitals for those injured
- to maintain emergency cover throughout the area and return to a state of normality at the earliest time.
Officers of the City Council will closely liaise with the other partner agencies that may have leading roles in an emergency.