Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

How is my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support worked out?

If you get Income Support or income-based Job Seeker's Allowance:

You will get the maximum amount of rent after we have taken off charges for:

  • Other people who live with you - these are called non-dependants.
  • Service charges.
  • Any rent restrictions, which the rent officer has told us about.

In all other cases:

  • We work out your benefit by comparing the money you get each week with your 'applicable amount'.
  • Your applicable amount is what the Government says you and your family need to live on each week.
  • The applicable amount will be higher for some people - for example if you are disabled or if you are a one-parent family.

When we have worked out what money you get each week, if it's less than, or the same as the applicable amount you will usually get the maximum benefit. But don't forget, if you have non-dependants living with you we might have to make deductions from your benefit for them.

Also, the amount of Housing Benefit you get might be affected by what the rent officer has said, or by any service charges that are included in your rent.

Please note:

If your income is less than, or the same as, your 'applicable amount', you should claim Income Support or Job Seeker's Allowance as you might get more help.

You may also be able to claim other benefits - i.e. Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Benefits service

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 1800

Visit: http://www.coventry.gov.uk/myaccount

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?