Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

What happens if there are other people living with me?

If you have friends, relatives or anyone over 18 living in your home, you may get less benefit. These people are called 'non-dependants'.

We may take an amount of your benefit for each non-dependant who lives in your home.

Non-dependants do not include:

  • Your partner
  • A child you get Child Benefit for
  • People under 18
  • People in full-time education
  • People on youth training schemes.

We will not take any money out of your benefit for non-dependants if:

  • You get Attendance Allowance
  • You get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • You receive the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • You are registered blind
  • The non-dependant is a paid carer provided by a charitable or voluntary organisation
  • The non dependant is under 25, and on Income Support or Income based Job Seekers' Allowance

Benefits service

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 1800


Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?