Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Universal Credit

Who is affected by Universal Credit?

If you are State Pension age you will not be affected. For couples, people will only be able to claim Pension Credit when both partners are over State Pension Age. If one partner is below State Pension Age you will have to claim Universal Credit. For more information, contact Age UK

Households of working age who claim in work or out of work benefits will be affected.

If you are living in rented accommodation and receive care, support or supervision as part of your tenancy or you are living in temporary homeless accommodation you will continue to claim Housing Benefit to support with your rent costs. If you need to make a new claim for any of the other five ‘legacy benefits’ you will claim Universal Credit for your living costs but not for your housing costs.

To check if you are eligible for Universal Credit and how much you could receive you can use Citizens Advice eligibility checker.

Is there anything wrong with this page?