Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Universal Credit

Help with making an online claim and managing your money

Help with the online claim

If you do not have access to the internet on a computer, tablet or mobile phone you can use a computer for free at:

Changes to Universal Credit Support from 1 April 2019

From the 1 April 2019, the Department for Works and Pensions transferred the responsibility to deliver help to claim Universal Credit (Universal Support) from local Council’s to the local Citizens Advice Bureau. Their ‘help to claim Universal Credit service’ will replace the council’s current assisted digital and budgeting support services.

Getting help to make a new Universal Credit Claim from Citizens Advice

Coventry Citizens Advice offer support with making a new claim for Universal Credit, from opening your account to receiving your full first payment.

Their trained advisers can help you to:

  • Set up your Universal Credit account
  • Verify your identity
  • Make sure you’re providing the right evidence to the Jobcentre
  • Understand what Universal Credit will mean for you
  • Complete your claim ‘ to do’s’

If you are not sure what help you need, just get in touch and they will work out what support you need. From 1 April 2019 you can:

Visit CAB at Kirby House, 15 Little Park Street, Coventry CV1 2JZ between 9am - 4pm weekdays

Call Freephone 0800 144 8 444 (England)

Visit their website for more information on Universal Credit.

Are you unsure how much benefit you will receive, or how much money you will have left once you have paid your bills?

Use our handy benefits calculator to:

  • See how much benefit you might be entitled to
  • Help to identify your priority bills and manage your money
  • See how changes in your circumstances would affect your income

There are also a number of local and national agencies who can provide advice and support.

Is there anything wrong with this page?