Enrol on an English, ESOL or Maths course

Pages in Enrol on an English, ESOL or Maths course

  1. ESOL classes
  2. Functional skills maths classes
  3. GCSE maths classes
  1. Functional skills English class
  2. GCSE English classes

Functional skills English class

Functional Skills English classes

Functional Skills courses and qualifications focus on the English skills you need to carry out tasks for life and work, e.g. letter writing, giving a short talk or understanding and comparing information from different pieces of writing.

Qualifications are available across 5 levels: Entry 1, 2, 3 and Level 1 and 2. To pass a Functional Skills qualification you will have an assessment in Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening.

Functional Skills level 2 is often taken as an equivalent qualification to GCSE.

How do I sign up?

You need to have an assessment so we can find out the level you are currently working towards. Most of our assessments during 2020-21 are taking place online so you should have access to a laptop, PC or tablet.

Please register your interest for an English course online: www.coventry.gov.uk/adulted  - ‘apply for a course’, choose the ‘I love English’ icon and then the option that best suits the course you want to do: for most people this will be the bottom option, ‘English’.

When you have completed the application, you will be contacted by an English manager to discuss the best time for your assessment. You may also be asked for your ID (please see below: ‘What do I need to have with me for the assessment?’)

At the assessment we will answer any questions you might have, find out what level of English you are starting from and then find a class that meets your needs.

If you have questions about the process or need a face to face interview and assessment, please telephone: 024 7683 2100 or email [email protected] 

What do I need to bring with me to the assessment?

 We need to check that you will be funded by the government for the course. To do this we need to see some ID.

  • If you were born in the UK please show your birth certificate, driving license or passport.
  • If you are an EU citizen please show your passport/ID card
  • Otherwise, please show your resident’s permit, passport with visa or whatever documentation you have that explains your resident status.

We will also need your National Insurance Number. 

How much will the course cost?

Nothing. Functional Skills English courses are funded by the Government.

Where will the course be?

During 2020-21 most of our classes are running online through Microsoft Teams meetings. If you are not able to join an online course, when we can open venues there will be face-to-face classes following government guidelines for social distancing.  We will talk with you about classes at a venue to suit you.

When will the course be?

We run classes during the school term times.

Classes are one session per week at the following times (no evening classes on Friday):

  • Morning classes are from 9.15 am until 11.45 am
  • Afternoon classes are from 12:30 pm until 3.00 pm
  • Evening classes are from 6:30 pm until 9.00 pm

Do you offer childcare?

We have a crèche service available at some venues. If you need crèche, let us know when you speak with a member of the English team and we will do our best to find you a suitable class.

Do I need to be good at English?

You should have good basic English speaking skills, but it doesn't matter how confident you are at spelling or reading and writing, we can help you. We welcome absolute beginners up to GCSE level.

Are there any other entry requirements?

If English is not your first language, you will need to show that you have good basic English skills (Full Entry Level 3 or above). 

There are no other formal entry requirements.

Will I get a qualification?

Yes. Please see "Functional Skills English classes" above.

This isn't the course I'm looking for. What other English courses do you offer?

  • We offer GCSE English courses that start in September each year. You will need to sit a pre-course assessment for GCSE either in July or the beginning of September. Please contact Jane Edwards on 024 7697 2524 or email [email protected] if you would like information about GCSEs
  • We offer ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes - which are courses for people beginning with the English language. Please phone on 024 7683 2100 or email [email protected] for information


If you have been diagnosed with dyslexia, or given extra time to do work at school or college, please discuss this with staff at enrolment.

Visual Impairment

  • Specialist English classes with access to assistive technology are held at Henley Green Community Centre.
  • Braille: Learn or improve your Braille skills.  Classes are primarily for learners with visual impairment, and priority will be given, but places may be available for other interested learners.

For further information please contact Graeme Sutherland:
Telephone: 024 7697 2506
Email: [email protected]

I would like some more information

If you need further information or would like to speak to someone, please email: [email protected] or phone Jane on 0247697 2524.

Adult Education

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7697 5200

Southfields Old School
South Street

Is there anything wrong with this page?