Governor Support Service Coventry
The Governor Support Service is part of the Education Improvement and Standards Service within the Local Authority and is committed to providing an effective service to improve the Governance of educational establishments in Coventry and the surrounding area.
The Governor Support Service Manager is Angela Carr and Kelly Goddard is the Senior Team Leader. In addition, there is a team of Governance Professionals known as Governor Support Specialist Officers who act as Clerks to Governors.
All schools are allocated a named Clerk who will be the main deliverer of the service to the Governing Board.
The service is centrally based and has a wealth of experienced staff who will also provide advice on Governance related matters.
What we do
- We provide advice and guidance on all Governance related matters:
- Administration of the Governing Board
- Convening, attending and clerking Governing Board meetings
- Carrying out all of the above for Governing Board committees, if that is the level of service purchased
Our services to you
The following services are provided at the appropriate charge to LA schools and academies:
- Statutory Governing Board Support (paper correspondence)
- Statutory Governing Board Support (electronic correspondence)
- Clerking Support for one committee (one committee meeting once per term) (paper correspondence)
- Clerking Support for one committee (one committee meeting once per term) (electronic correspondence)
- Clerking Support for two meetings of the Governing Board which includes Committee Business (paper correspondence)
- Clerking Support for two meetings of the Governing Board which includes Committee business (electronic correspondence)
- Advice and Guidance Service
All of the above options include:
- Arranging and clerking of meetings of the Governing Board/Committee
- Preparing and producing agendas for all meetings of the Governing Board/ Committee and identify items for inclusion on the agenda in consultation with the Chair of Governors and Headteacher
- Distribution of the agenda and all documents (electronically or posted) provided for consideration at a scheduled meeting within statutory timeframes
- Taking minutes of the meeting which will be made available in draft form to the Chair of Governors and Headteacher within 10 school days following the meeting
- Undertaking follow up work arising from Governing Board meetings ensuring that appropriate matters are referred to the relevant person
- Maintaining records of and monitoring attendance at meetings and taking appropriate action in accordance with School Governance Regulations
- Maintaining membership details of the Governing Board (including committee membership) and dealing with all
- correspondence regarding membership, including notification of appointments
- Access to GovernorHub (Excluding Advice and Guidance Service). GovernorHub brings together the key tools a Governing Board needs, it’s easy to use and update. Offers a mobile app for IOS and Android; can be used to download documents to use in meetings even when there is no internet access. The link to the website is Governor Hub
Governors’ E-Learning (Learning Link) Modules
This service gives automatic access for all members of the Governing Board to the online E-Learning modules for the duration of the subscription, unless GSS is informed that this service is not required at the point of renewal/ uptake of the SLA. This offer will incur an additional, discounted charge above the SLA.
Our commitment to you
During the agreement period and from the commencement date, the Clerk to the Governing Board will:
- Deliver to the high standards expected by the board of a Governance Professional
- Clerk Governing Board meetings in accordance with School Governance Regulations and the Governance Handbook, other relevant Regulations and good practice guidance
- Issue agendas and associated documentation within statutory timeframes unless otherwise directed by the Chair of Governors
- Make draft minutes available to the Chair of Governors and Headteacher for comment within 10 school days of the meeting taking place
Standards of performance are set and monitored by the Service Manager and Senior Team Leader through formal feedback from the Headteacher and Chair of Governors.
Please contact Angela Carr for more information on our Service Level Agreement options or Coventry Schools or Academies can log on One Place.
024 7697 2095 (Angela Carr)
024 7697 2091 (Kelly Goddard)