Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Ordinary watercourses: applying for consent for works

Pages in Ordinary watercourses: applying for consent for works

  1. Who do I get consent from?
  2. Why do I need consent?
  3. What type of work needs consent?
  1. Does the consent have a time limit?
  2. How do I apply?
  3. How do I pay?

Who do I get consent from?

If you wish to undertake certain types of work on a watercourse then you need permission from the appropriate body. This depends on whether the watercourse is classed as a ' Main River ' or an 'Ordinary Watercourse'.

If the watercourse is classed as Main River you need to apply for consent from the Environment Agency for any works that you propose to carry out within 8 metres of the top of the bank.

Works affecting an Ordinary Watercourse may require consent from Coventry City Council.

Coventry City Council, as Lead Local Flood Authority, assumed responsibility for the Ordinary Watercourse consenting role from the Environment Agency on 6 April 2012, as part of the requirements of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.

Flood Risk Management Officer

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 08085 834333

Whitley Depot
259 London Road

Is there anything wrong with this page?