Financial assessment – residential and nursing care

Pages in Financial assessment – residential and nursing care

  1. Financial assessment – residential and nursing care
  1. What is the ‘Deferred Payment Scheme’?

Care and support services are not free. Most people have to pay something towards their own care and some will have to pay for all of the costs.

Your local authority (council) may cover some or all of the cost of care in some circumstances, but its help is "means-tested". This means that who pays depends on what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require.

If the local authority considers that you need support that it can provide, it may also carry out a financial assessment. This assessment will determine;

  • whether the local authority will meet all the cost of your care,
  • or whether you will need to contribute towards your care cost,
  • or whether you will have to meet the full costs yourself.

How do I get funding for residential or nursing care?

You will be given a needs assessment by a Social Worker, and if residential or nursing care is appropriate, you will then have a financial assessment.

How do I find out if I am eligible for financial help towards the cost of my care?

If you apply for help from adult social care, as part of your overall assessment for care and support you will receive a separate financial assessment. This is carried out by our Financial Assessments Team. They will work out whether you qualify for financial help from us. If you do not, you are regarded as self-funding.

The financial assessment for residential or nursing care is different to the financial assessment for non-residential care. Importantly, savings and assets are calculated in a different way. If you have capital (excluding property) below the £23,250 limit you can receive Council funding. If you have capital (excluding property) above the £23,250 limit you will have to self- fund your care.

How much will I be asked to contribute towards my care?

A financial assessment officer will arrange to meet with you and/or your financial representative to carry out a financial assessment and will calculate your anticipated weekly income by totalling:

  • existing income, such as state pension, occupational pensions etc.
  • the amount of Income Support/Pension Credit you would receive if you went into residential or nursing care

Some income is disregarded in full such as Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment mobility component. Some income such as War Pensions is either fully or partially disregarded depending upon who it was awarded to.

Your contribution is your total weekly assessable income, less a standard amount set by the Government for your weekly personal expenses. This is £24.90 per week in financial year 2020/21.

Will my funding be affected if I own a property?

We will make a decision as to whether or not your property should be included in your assessment of charges.

Automatic reasons to disregard a property:

There are some circumstances where property is disregarded:

  • If your partner will continue to live in the property.
  • If you have a relative aged 60 years or over living in the property.
  • If you are responsible for a child under 16 years living in the property.
  • If you have a relative who is incapacitated and lives in the property.

Discretionary disregard of a property

The Council can use a discretionary power to disregard a property in exceptional circumstances. To apply for this you need to submit a written application to the Financial Assessments Manager, stating why your property should not be included in the assessment.

What happens if my property is included in the financial assessment?

If a property is not to be disregarded, you or your representative will be asked to sign a form, agreeing to reimburse our contribution from the net proceeds, following the sale of your property.

Disregard of first 12 weeks of permanent funding

We will not try to reclaim any funding for the first 12 weeks of your permanent placement, if your property is taken into account in their assessment. Funding for respite or short stay care does not count towards the 12 weeks and is not reclaimed.

How much will the NHS contribute towards my nursing care?

If you require nursing care, you will receive an assessment of your nursing care needs from the NHS, to calculate the amount which can be paid towards the overall cost of your care home.

The assessment will determine if you are entitled to continuing healthcare funding, where the NHS will pay the full cost of the nursing care placement. If you are not entitled to continuing healthcare funding, the NHS may pay a standard contribution, £183.92 per week during the financial year 2020/21 towards the nursing care you require.

The standard contribution made by the NHS will be taken into account by adult social care when they assess how much can be paid towards the weekly charge for your care home.

What happens if I choose a care home which charges more than the Adult Social Care support level?

You are free to choose a care home which charges above the Local Authority support level, as long as a third party agrees to pay the difference between the charge and the support level from their own funds. This is called a third party top up.

Except in limited circumstances, you would not be expected to pay your own third party contribution from your own funds. Anybody who agrees to pay a third party contribution should note that contributions may increase over time.

Who do I contact for more information or to appeal against the charge I have been asked to pay?

If you feel your charge is unreasonable, you have the right to appeal. Please contact the Financial Assessments team for details about the appeals process.

Financial assessments team

Tel: 024 7683 3575

Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?