Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update


Asylum seekers, refugees and migrants

If you are an asylum seeker, refugee or migrant, you need to meet certain UK immigration criteria to access full homelessness help. 

Eligibility to access homelessness services 

To access the Homelessness Prevention Service, you need to: 

  • Be a British or Irish citizen living in the UK or
  • Be from the EU or EEA and are living and working in the UK or
  • Have Home Office permission to stay in the UK and be allowed to claim benefits  

If you have no access to public funds then you may not be eligible for housing help from the Council.  Our leaflet provides further information. 

If you have dependent children and you are threatened with homelessness or are homeless Children's Services might be able to help you. Contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub on 024 7678 8555. For out of office hours contact 024 7683 2222. The Homelessness Prevention Service may also refer you to Children's Services. 

You can find more detailed guidance on eligibility from Shelter on 0808 800 4444. 


You can apply to the Council for help if you're homeless or are going to be made homeless if you have been granted: 

  • Refugee Status 
  • Humanitarian Protection 
  • Are dependent upon someone granted one of the above 

If you are living in asylum supported accommodation and have been granted leave to remain by the Home Office, contact our Homelessness Prevention Service as soon as possible. We can help plan your move out of supported accommodation before you are made homeless.  

Refugee integration loan 

You can get additional help from the government's integration loan scheme. They must be paid back, but they're interest-free. You can borrow between £100 and £1,000. 

You can use the loan for things like: 

  • housing deposits 
  • work clothing and equipment 
  • education and training 

Find out more information.

Asylum seekers  

If you are seeking asylum you will be unable to claim benefits or access the Council's full homelessness service. 

If you need advice, accommodation or cash support, get in contact with one of the government's asylum helplines.

Domestic violence 

If you have entered the UK on a spouse or partner visa you may not qualify for homelessness help. You will likely need to apply to the Home Office's Destitute Domestic Violence Concession for permission to stay in your own right. You will then be able to access the Council's Homelessness Prevention Service. 

Where else can I find help?  

  • Advice Services Coventry lists the different agencies in the city who work together to offer free, independent advice and information.
  • The Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre helps refugees and migrants settle and integrate into Coventry. They provide advice on housing, finances, immigration and asylum law and safeguarding. Call 024 7622 7254.
  • Carriers of Hope can supply furnishings for empty accommodation for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants. Call 024 7645 6356.
  • Coventry Law Centre provides specialist services in immigration and human rights law. Call 024 7622 3053.
  • Coventry Peace House may be able to help if you struggling because of the Asylum process. Contact the Shelter Coordinator on 07443 428916 or 024 7666 4616.
  • The Coventry Jesus Centre runs a drop-in service Tuesday to Thursday 9am to 12noon and Sunday 9am to 10:30am where you can get breakfast as well as access to showers, laundry, clothing, advice and support workers. 

Homelessness Advice Service 

Eligibility under UK immigration law is required to access the this service. We can provide general advice and signposting for those that don't meet eligibility requirements. If you are at risk of becoming homeless, you can tell us online by registering on our customer portal and completing a self referral form. If you need guidance on how to register, please see our step by step guide.  Once you have completed your referral, we will contact you within 3 working days.

Homelessness Advice Service

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 4025

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?