Eviction and landlord problems

There are different types of tenancies, such as social housing tenancies and assured shorthold tenancies. The advice surrounding what to do when confronted with an eviction will depend on the type of tenancy you have. Contact the Homelessness Prevention Service as soon as you receive notice to leave your property. They will be able to give advice and may be able to negotiate with your landlord to prolong your tenancy. Further information is also available in our Private Rented Sector Eviction Leaflet.

How do I find out my tenancy type?

Most people have an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) but if you are unsure use Shelter's tenancy rights checker to see what type of tenancy or licence you have.

If you are a private tenant, you can find out more about your rights from Shelter

If you are a social tenant, you can find out more about your rights from the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Getting notice of eviction

A landlord can issue a section 21 notice or a section 8 notice to end a private tenancy but certain rules must be followed to make the notices valid. Invalid notices can be challenged in court. 

The landlord does not need to give a reason to end your tenancy with a section 21 notice. However, with a section 8 notice, the landlord must have a legal reason to end your tenancy. You can contact the Homelessness Prevention Service on 024 7683 4025 (option 2) who may be able to negotiate with the landlord to prevent eviction. 

Read our service self-help pack for private tenants issued with a section 21 notice.

See Shelter's Eviction advice pages for help and advice on evictions. You can also call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 for expert advice on your situation. 

Illegal eviction and harassment 

It's a criminal offence for your landlord to evict you without following the correct legal procedure. Illegal eviction may include: 

  • Forcing you to leave through threats or harassment 
  • Physically throwing you out 
  • Stopping you from getting into certain parts of your home 
  • Changing the locks while you're out 

Harassment can take the form of: 

  • Making threats to persuade a tenant to leave 
  • Cutting off service, such as had, electricity or water 
  • Preventing access to shared kitchens and bathrooms 
  • Entering a tenant's room without permission.  

If you face threats of violence contact the police on 101. If the crime is happening now, call 999

If you're being harassed by your landlord or think you're being evicted illegally, contact the Housing Enforcement Team on 024 7683 1303.

Shelter has more advice on illegal eviction and harassment. 

Advice organisations 

Accessing the Homelessness Prevention Service

If you have received a notice to leave a property, please get in touch with our Homelessness Prevention Service as soon as possible on 024 7683 4025. 

Priority need for accommodation

Due to new homelessness legislation, you do not need to have a certain level of need (priority need) or links to a council area (local connection) to access the Homelessness Prevention Service. Priority need will only affect whether you are entitled to interim accommodation if you become homeless (the relief duty) or owed the main housing duty.

This means that we may provide you with short-term accommodation if you meet a certain level of need. We will look at your situation and any people who are dependent on you to make a decision.

For further details on what gives you a priority need or a local connection, call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 and see the government's code of guidance.

Homelessness Prevention Service

Email: nominationsandadvice@coventry.gov.uk

Tel: 024 7683 4025

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?