You need a licence to put tables and chairs on the public highway outside your business for customers to use to consume food and drink.

You may not need a licence if the land you propose to use is your own property. However, planning permission may be required.

Temporary pavement licence 

The government has introduced a temporary pavement licence via a streamlined application process.

If you wish to apply for a temporary pavement licence, see: Temporary pavement licences

Tables and chairs licence

You may still apply for a tables and chairs licence under the Highways Act 1980. These licences can be renewed annually.

Further information can be found on the following pages.

Changing an existing tables and chairs licence

If you wish to change an existing tables and chairs licence, see: Changing an existing tables and chairs licence.