New asbestos training courses for site/building managers and head teachers
Asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) are still present within many buildings within the UK built prior to the year 2000, however, these materials can be left in-situ if managed correctly and are in good condition.
Coventry City Council undertakes asbestos management surveys for all relevant buildings and also provide mandatory asbestos training for relevant Council employees.
The new Duty to Manage training course is tailored to employees who are responsible for their premise(s) and, therefore, have responsibilities under the Control of Asbestos Regulations regarding the ‘duty to manage’ asbestos materials within that premise(s).
The Duty to Manage training will cover the following topics:
- Legal aspects of the Duty to Manage and Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations;
- Requirements of the Asbestos Management Plan and how it should be implemented: including emergency procedures, contractor control and communication of the plan, ensuring the plan is updated with all relevant asbestos information and ongoing reviews;
- Conducting Risk Assessments;
- Ensuring the asbestos register is current and kept up to date;
- Contractor/Project management regarding work on asbestos; includes ensuring the procurement of the appropriate contractors, ensuring the review and retention of legally required documentation, 14 day notification to the HSE for higher risk ACMs, role of the analyst, correct waste requirements and the update of the asbestos management plan/register upon completion of works.
The existing Asbestos Awareness Training, for employees who undertake work that disturbs the fabric of the building during the normal course of their work, continues to be provided, also.
It must be noted that asbestos awareness does not prepare an employee to carry out work with ACMs. Awareness training is only intended to help employees avoid carrying out work that will disturb asbestos or ACMs.
The details of the next available courses are:
Duty to Manage:
- Thursday 7 April 2022 9am – 4.30pm – course duration 7.5 hours
Asbestos Awareness Training:
- Wednesday 6 April 2022 9am – 1pm – course duration 3-4 hours
Please email Chris.Taylor@coventry.gov.uk if you wish to be booked onto one of these sessions or have any queries regarding booking.
If you have any general asbestos queries, please email Yvette.Liening@coventry.gov.uk.