About Coventry Outdoors In City Provision and Plas Dol-y-Moch
Coventry Outdoors offers a broad range of educational and curriculum programmes for schools from early years through primary, secondary, special, FE and HE as well as youth and uniformed groups. We provide a world class Outdoor Education Service which supports children and young people to flourish though a purpose-built provision which focuses on:
- Character education and personal development
- Raising achievement through experimental and authentic learning experiences
There are three strands to the service that we provide:
- High quality residential outdoor education programme to Coventry Schools at our activity centre at Plas Dol-y-Moch in Snowdonia, North Wales holding a capacity of 70 beds.
- Guidance and Advice service offering professional high-quality advice, guidance and support for schools and establishments in managing educational visits and activities and in developing outdoor education and learning.
- In city service through programmes supporting children and young people with strong links between the outdoor experience and the school curriculum, broadening horizons, developing learning skills and fostering practical life skills whilst offering bespoke training through outdoor learning to give confidence and inspire teachers to use in day to-day teaching.
- Senior Manager for Outdoor Education Service – Faye Parker firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plas Dol Y Moch Outdoor Education Centre – Gethin Thomas email@example.com
- Educational Visits Guidance and Advice – Chloe Groves firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schools Programme Lead – Andrew Dowling Andrew.email@example.com
- Outdoor Education In City Offer – Chloe Groves & Andrew Dowling OutdoorEducation@coventry.gov.uk
Description of Service we provide
Situated in the Snowdonia National Park between the mountain and the sea, Plas Dol-y-Moch is a large 17th century country house set in gardens and woodlands in the Vale of Ffestiniog, and it has been Coventry's outdoor education centre since 1966.
It is an ideal base for adventure activities and field work with all activities close at hand and easily reached in the Centre's fleet of four minibuses. All tutorial staff are highly qualified teachers of outdoor education and work closely with Coventry schools to design and deliver courses.
Plas Dol-y-Moch Outdoor Education Centre can hold up to 70 beds - book via firstname.lastname@example.org
Educational Visits Guidance and Advice
Coventry Outdoors (part of Coventry City Council) provides professional high- quality advice, guidance and support for schools and establishments in managing educational visits and activities, to assist delivering outdoor education, learning and adventure. We have a team of advisors who are members of the National Outdoor Education Advisors Panel (OEAP) who are highly experienced Outdoor Educators. The team can provide support and compulsory training to educational establishments, providing professional and practical advice with all aspects of managing educational visits, adventurous/hazardous activities and in developing curriculum-linked outdoor learning.
- Advice and Support - on all aspects of the educational visits process
- Access to EVOLVE - through the Coventry City Council (CCC) EVOLVE website for educational visits (no additional cost)
- EVOLVE Webinars – EVOLVE and relevant updates available through webinars every term
- Administration Support – with our team
- Online Advice and Notification System - with approval for specific educational visits, to check that arrangements reflect CCC guidance and current good practice
- Updates – access to regular newsletter, guidance and statutory information
- Training – inclusive access to a range of flexible online training courses (saving cover costs and staff time) whilst being COVID secure:
- EVC Training
- EVC Update/ Revalidation
- EVC EVOLVE training
- Leader Training
- Policy Support - Educational Visits Policy and additional Policy Document support on request
- Discounted rates to further training and development courses
In City Offer
Coventry Outdoors supports schools and providers through a service which promotes strong links between the outdoor experience, the curriculum and character education. Our in city provision includes:
- Courses, Qualifications & CPD packages - we have a range of courses and qualifications that will give confidence and inspiration to practitioners and teachers to use outdoor learning in day to day teaching; creating safe, valuable and effective experiences for children and young people in the outdoors.
- Character Education & Intervention Programmes – Programmes are aimed at children and young people with a broad range of issues, ranging from mainstream with everyday basic social and emotional issues, low confidence, and low self-esteem, through to those with deeper issues such as behavioural and SEMH. Each programme is designed to enhance mental health and wellbeing, through focusing on personal development and character education whilst also equipping children and young people with new skills and qualifications.
- Education & Curriculum Programmes - We are committed to supporting children and young people through developing a service which has strong links between the outdoor experience and the school curriculum – helping schools to raise student attainment levels through authentic learning experiences. Our outdoor curriculum programmes will equip young people with valuable social skills for their future, improve relationships and raise their aspirations.
Find out more
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest news and photos.
- Plas Dol-y-Moch website
- Follow Coventry Outdoors @CovOutdoors on Twitter
- Follow Coventry Outdoors on Facebook
- Follow coventryoutdoors on Instagram
- Follow Plas Dol-y-Moch @plasdolymoch on Twitter
- Follow Plas Dol-y-Moch on Facebook
- Follow the Friends of Plas Dol-y-Moch @FOPDYM on Twitter
Plas Dol-y-Moch outdoor education centreAddress: Dol-y-Moch Outdoor Education Centre