Universal Support privacy notice

This privacy notice explains how Coventry City Council will use your personal information when you ask for help with Universal Credit through Assisted Digital Support or Personal Budgeting Support. 

What we do with your information

We collect this information so that we can:

  • Help you to make an online claim for Universal Credit
  • Help you to manage your online claim for Universal credit
  • Identify any other benefits or discretionary funding you may be entitled to
  • Identify any other sources of funding you may be entitled to
  • Support you to manage your monthly payments
  • Help you to open a suitable bank (or other) account
  • Support you to negotiate payment plans or deductions from your Universal Credit
  • Send reports to Government departments

The lawful reason is because we need this information so that we can carry our a public task. 

Who we share your information with

We share your information with:

  • The Department for Work and Pensions - to send them reports
  • Other Council departments - to improve services, to carry out research, to monitor equality, to protect public funds and find out if you should get any more help
  • Third parties - Only at your specific request to access other services which may be able to help you

How long we keep your information for

We will only keep your information for as long as we need to so that we can give you the service you need, unless we have to for legal reasons. This is normally for seven years. 

Your rights

You have the right to:

  1. Ask to see the information we hold about you
  2. Have any inaccuracies in your data corrected
  3. Have information erased
  4. Restrict processing or object processing of information we hold about you
  5. Complain to the Information Commissioners Officer

To exercise any of these rights please contact the Benefits Service and/or email [email protected] (mark your email as Data Request).


You have the right to complain if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the Council about your data. If you want to make a complaint you can contact the Data Protection team and ask for a review of the decision.

If you are still not satisfied you can contact the Information Commissioners Officer at:

The Information Commissioners Officer
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Is there anything wrong with this page?