Animal welfare and dog wardens team
Coventry's Animal Welfare and Dog Warden team controls stray dogs and provides many other services to help animal welfare. We have a range of responsibilities, including:
- Controlling stray dogs, under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Advice on dangerous or aggressive dogs, as defined by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and Dogs Act 1871.
- Issuing fixed penalty notices for dog fouling, as specified by Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.
- Putting up 'No Dog Fouling' notices and ground stencils.
- Investigating dog fouling in private gardens that is causing a nuisance by smell or flies under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- Microchipping dogs to provide a better way of identifying them.
- The issuing of animal related licenses for pet shops, zoos, boarding, breeding and riding establishments, and for dangerous, wild and performing animals.
- Giving educational talks to schools, groups and residents' associations.