Who can apply for a Blue Badge?
Individuals eligible without assessment
Applicants that meet one of the following conditions may receive a Blue Badge without assessment:
- Receives the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), which is in two parts - the care component and the mobility component. To be eligible you must be receiving the higher rate of the mobility component. Attendance allowance is not taken into consideration for eligibility without assessment. You will need to provide a copy of your letter of entitlement, dated within the last year.
- Receives a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.
- Is a registered blind person under the National Assistance Act 1948.
- Has been awarded a benefit (giving rise to a lump sum at tariffs 1-8 inclusive) under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and has also been certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans agency as having a permanent and severe disability which means they cannot walk or have severe difficulty in walking.
- Has scored 8 points or more in the 'Moving Around' activity of a Personal Independence Payment (PIP). You will need to provide a copy of your letter of entitlement, dated within the last year. Please note that we will need to see both the the page showing your name and address and the page showing your "moving around descriptor" score.
Individuals eligible following assessment
Those who do not meet any of the conditions above, but meet one of the following, may be able to receive a Blue Badge following assessment:
- Has a permanent and severe disability which means you have severe difficulty walking or are unable to walk.
- Has a severe disability in both arms and regularly drives a motor vehicle, but has difficulty operating parking meters.
- Is a child under 3 years of age who, because of a specific medical condition, needs to travel with bulky medical equipment, or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment.
If we feel a face-to-face assessment is needed, we will contact you to invite you in.
An organisation can apply for a badge if:
- The organisation cares for and transports disabled people who would themselves meet one or more of the conditions for a Blue Badge; and
- Has a clear need for an organisational badge rather than using the individual Blue Badges of people it cares for.
Issuing Organisation Blue Badges is entirely at our discretion. Any organisations that do qualify must follow the conditions of issue.