Coventry City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the UK GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This privacy notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we collect and use personal information about you
As part of our duties and responsibilities, under the Care Act 2014, we collect, hold and share personal information about you and your support network. We process your personal data because to enable us to identify and provide services necessary for you.
We use this information to:
- Complete an assessment to determine your care and support needs
- Arrange services or advice to meet your needs
- Safeguard you against risk of harm or neglect
- Inform our continuous improvement and to measure the impact of our services
What information we collect about you
- Contact details
- Date of birth
- GP contact details
- Your medical diagnosis and any previous diagnosis that impacts on your support needs
- Family and support networks that are available to you, including any informal care arrangements in place
- Employment status
- Details of any existing support/providers in place to meet your needs
- Details about your income, benefits received, and capital - if required for financial assessment
Who we share your personal information with
We will share relevant information about you with organisations who are involved in meeting your health or social care needs. We will also share your information with organisations that we have agreed will be able to give you advice or information that can help you. We will not share your personal information with anyone else without your permission
We will share your data with:
- Your GP
- Health professionals involved in your care
- Care Providers or Home Support Agencies identified to meet your assessed care needs
- Residential Homes and Nursing Homes identified to meet your needs. This will vary dependent on where vacancies exist, but we will tell you who these are.
- West Midlands Police
- Coventry & Warwickshire Partnership Trust (CWPT)
- University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire (UHCW)
- West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS)
- Voluntary Organisations involved in your care that the City Council has a contract with.
- Housing Organisations in order to secure accommodation for you or to arrange equipment installation if it applies
- Other Coventry City Council departments
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons. The time can be different depending on the service you are provided with. We will keep your information for 6 years after you stop receiving services.
You have the right to:
- Ask to see the personal information we hold about you
- Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Ask us to limit the way we use your personal Information
- Ask for human intervention regarding decisions made about you by a computer
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (information below)
To exercise any of these rights please contact [email protected].
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances, you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision. [email protected]
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:
The Information Commissioner's Office,