A stray dog is a dog unsupervised in a public place - it doesn't matter whether it is wearing a collar, tag or has a microchip it is still classed as a stray when out roaming alone.
Reporting your lost dog
Report your lost dog to the Dog Wardens by either contacting Customer Services or you can provide us with the details of your dog on our lost dog reporting form.
You can also report your missing dog to the following organisations:
- Pet Search UK: 01676 540341
- Join the Lost and Found Pets Coventry Facebook Group to post a photo of your lost dog.
- If your dog is microchipped, contact the microchipping company (whose number will be on your dog's microchipping paperwork) and report it missing. This is also a good opportunity to check the details on the microchip are up-to-date.
- Dog Lost Website
- Create a lost dog poster to give to your local vets.
If you believe that your dog has been stolen, we advise you to contact the police and obtain a crime number.
We may already have your dog in our kennels
Contact the Dog Warden by calling Customer Services, or you can call the Dog Warden's duty phone during office hours on 07976 736957 (office hours are: 9am - 4pm Monday to Friday).
For outside office hours, you can contact the kennels and leave a message for the Dog Wardens who will respond to you on the next working day. To do this, call: 024 7683 2208.
Also, check the Coventry Dog Warden Facebook page where we regularly post about stray dogs that have come into our kennels. If you believe one of the dogs displayed on this page is yours, contact one of the above phone numbers and if possible, please note down the dog's reference number which is displayed in the description of the dog's photo.
If we have no contact from an owner, the dog will be rehomed after 7 days. So please don't delay and report your lost dog straight away.
When collecting your dog from our kennels
You MUST contact the Dog Wardens on 07976 736 957 to arrange the collection of your dog.
You are able to collect your dog:
- Monday to Friday: 9am - 10am, 12.30pm - 1.30pm or 3.30pm
- Weekends and Bank holidays: if your dog is in our care and you have reported the dog lost, an officer will contact you to in the morning to arrange an appointment for you to collect your dog. Please note the Dog Warden works for a short time at the weekends and depending how busy we are in the kennels you may not be able to claim your dog until the next working day.
You will need to bring the following with you when collecting your dog from our kennels:
- Identity - a document with your name on and either your signature or photograph, for example, a passport, driving license, photo I.D card.
- Address - a document not more than four weeks old with your name and address on, for example, a gas, electric, telephone, water, council tax bill or a bank, building society or credit card statement.
- Proof of ownership of your dog - this can include a Vaccination Card with your name on or your dog's microchip paperwork, or even photos of the dog.
You must provide proof of identity and address or you will not be able to collect your dog. If you are unable to provide the required documentation we can discuss which other documents would be acceptable prior to your visit.
Have you found a stray dog?
If you have found a dog during office hours
During office hours, 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday, please contact Customer Services (details below) or you can contact the Dog Warden's duty phone number on 07976 736957.
If you have found a dog outside office hours
Outside of office hours, after 4pm Monday to Friday or on weekends/bank holidays, we supply a drop off point for stray dogs only. Members of the public who find a stray dog out of hours should call 024 7683 2208 first to arrange a time to drop off the stray dog.
We will not accept very sick or injured dogs into our kennels out of hours. If you believe the dog you have found is sick or injured and needs veterinary assistance, we recommend you take the dog to a vet (MediVets have an emergency out of hours practice in Coventry) where they can be treated and monitored overnight until the dog warden is back on duty the following day.
If you require assistance with transport out of hours and cannot keep the dog contained until the dog warden is on duty the following morning, you may be able to find a volunteer to help you with transport on the Lost and Found Pets Coventry Facebook group.
We are moving
From Monday 9 May 2022, Coventry Dog Wardens will be moving from Jackson Road to our newly built kennels and offices at Whitley Depot. This is where you will need to come to collect and drop of stray dogs. Our opening hours remain the same.
During daytime office hours (Monday - Friday 9am-4pm) our Kennels can be accessed from the Humber Road entrance to Whitley Depot.
During out of hours (Monday - Friday 4pm - 9am, or during weekends and public holidays) if you find a stray dog in Coventry and would like to bring it to our kennels, you'll need to use the London Road entrance to Whitley Depot.
At both entrances you will be met by security who will show you where to park your car and walk you to the kennels. Ideally, you should call us prior to your arrival using our duty phone number 07976 736 957 between 9am - 4pm or 02476 83 2208 If calling after 4pm weekdays or at the weekend/public holidays.
Humber Road Entrance -
London Road Entrance -
259 London Road