Coventry City Council Complies with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This Privacy Notice explains how your personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we process personal data
We collect and hold personal information relating to the applications for cremation and burial services, submission of permits to erect a memorial on to a purchased grave, applications for leased memorials in the Gardens of Remembrance, making payments direct to Coventry Bereavement Services for services and products supplied and to distribute customer surveys.
We use this information to:
- Provide you with necessary and appropriate services
- Record the rightful owners of the Exclusive Right of Burial
- Record the lease owners for memorialisation
- Ensure correct lines of communication/consultation with the deceased's next of kin
- Help us to develop and improve our services
We process personal data because the law says we must.
- Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977
- Cremation Act 1952
Who we share data with
We will share data with:
- the Ministry of Justice (Burials Department)
- Coventry City Council Regulatory Services (Environmental Health Officer) if you have made an application for an exhumation.
- service officiant and a funeral director if you are making arrangements for a contract funeral service through Coventry Bereavement Services.
- Coventry City Council Accounts Payable department if you require a refund for monies paid to us.
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need unless we have to keep it for legal reasons. The time can be different depending on the service you have asked for.
You have the right to:
- Ask for all personal information we hold about you (also known as a Subject Access Request); send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Withdraw consent (see below)
- Ask us to change your information if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete information we hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use your personal information
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Question decisions made about you by a computer
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office ( information below)
To exercise any of these rights please contact Coventry Bereavement Services: email@example.com
Withdrawal of consent
Where personal data is processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent. However, Coventry City Council processes personal data that it is necessary to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations and to enable us to perform tasks carried out in the public interest.
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances, you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision. DPOTeam@coventry.gov.uk
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:
The Information Commissioner's Office