Registering your notice of intention

Coventry Register Office operates an appointment system for giving of notice of marriage/civil partnership.

Booking an appointment

Please make sure you contact us well in advance of your ceremony date to arrange an appointment and give time for all the legal work to be completed.

There is a charge of £42 per person to give a Notice of Marriage/Civil Partnership. This fee must be paid when you make your appointment.

A refund will be given if you have to cancel or change your appointment as long as you give at least two working days' notice - unless exceptional circumstances can be proved. 


Book an appointment for giving of Notice of Marriage

By telephone

You will need to have a payment card ready when phoning to book your appointment on 024 7683 3141.

What you need to bring to your appointment

When you give your Notice you will each need to bring the following documents:

  • Current, valid, full passport


  • If born before 1 January 1983 a birth certificate (short or full)


  • If born on or after 1 January 1983 your own full birth certificate showing your parents' names and one of your parents' (if married to each other at time of your birth) or your mother's (if not married at the time of your birth) passport or birth certificate.

you must also provide

  • Identification showing your current names and addresses, such as a utility bill (less than three months old), bank statement (less than one month old), driving licence, current mortgage statement or council tax bill
  • If you were born outside of the United Kingdom and do not hold UK Citizenship please ensure you bring evidence of your immigration status or visit the Immigration and Nationality Department for further information.

The following documents may also be needed:

  • If you have been married before and are divorced, your Decree Absolute with the court stamp on it (if the document is in a foreign language then a translation is needed)
  • If you have been in a previous Civil Partnership and have since had this partnership dissolved, an original court order will be needed
  • If you are widowed then your late wife's/husband's death certificate.
  • Change of Name Deed or Statutory Declaration
  • Completed Consent Form (if one of you is aged under 18). Forms are available from the Register Office

Fees relating to the dissolution of a previous Marriage/Civil Partnership obtained outside the British Isles

  • £55.00 to your local register office for consideration
  • £83.00 if the documents need to be sent to the Registrar General for consideration

This fee will be taken at the notice of marriage/Civil partnership appointment and can be paid by debit/credit card.

All of the above documents must be originals - photocopies are not acceptable.

You have to make sure that all the above legal work is completed and you must produce all of the documents needed - failure to produce them may mean that the Notice cannot be taken and further paperwork cannot be issued. If the notice cannot be taken at your appointment, we will not give a refund and may charge a further £42 each for any other appointment.

If you have any questions or need any further information please contact us by telephone or in person before your appointment.

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm. Building opening times: 9.00am - 4.30pm Mondays and Wednesdays, 10.00am - 4.30pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9.00am - 4.00pm Fridays.

Address: Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Telephone: 024 7683 3141