Coventry Interpretation and Translation Unit (CITU) delivers a cost-effective interpreting and translation service to all Coventry based statutory, voluntary, private sector and other organisations.
CITU provides an accessible, confidential, equitable, quality service to people whose first language is not English or who have sensory impairment. The Provision includes face to face interpreting, written translation, sign language and telephone interpreting, which is chargeable at the end of each month.
Who can book an interpreter?
- Coventry City Council employees
- Public, Private or Voluntary Sector employees
- Members of the public (payment at the time of booking)
Why do I need an interpreter?
People whose first language is not English can find it difficult to access services and to discuss their needs with practitioners.
Without a properly trained professional Interpreter, people may rely on a family member or a friend and confidentiality could be breached.
What will the interpreter do?
Qualified and experienced Interpreters working for CITU provide accurate interpretation between service users and practitioners. They are committed to CITU's Code of Practice, which includes maintaining confidentiality of the service users.
What languages can we provide?
At present CITU provides interpretation and translation services in a wide range of languages and it always endeavours to add more languages to its list, based on local needs.
How do I book an interpreter for a face-to-face appointment?
- Help us by booking as far in advance as possible.
- It is good practice to book at least 24 hours in advance of the appointment but short notice and emergency appointments can be booked.
When you book an interpreter, you will need to provide the following information:
- The name, organisation and contact telephone number for the person booking the interpreter. If you are booking on someone else's behalf please provide the professional's name and the mobile number of who will be attending the appointment
- The name of the professional who will be undertaking the appointment
- The language you require and country of origin (if known)
- The name of the service user
- The time, date and estimated length of the appointment
- Purpose/description of the appointment
- The venue, and where the interpreter should report to.
- Service user's phone number, if you would like the interpreter to call them to confirm the appointment
- Purchase order number (for non-City Council organisations)
- Any additional information you think is required.
Please note for members of the public we require payment at the time of booking.
You can email: CITU@coventry.gov.uk
You can telephone: 024 7697 5506
Booking reference number and appointment time
Once you have provided all the details, we will give you a job reference number. If there is any problem booking the Interpreter, we will let you know otherwise Interpreter will meet you outside the venue. Should the interpreter fail to arrive on the agreed date and time, please call us on 024 7697 5506 by quoting the job reference number.
At the end of the appointment, please complete and sign the Interpreter's referral form, including the end time.
Cancellation of appointments?
We will always inform you if there is a problem at our end. If you have a problem, or you need to cancel the appointment, please call during office hours on 024 7697 5506. Please remember if appointments are cancelled with less than 24 hours' notice a minimum charge will incur.
Comments, compliments and complaints
Your feedback is important to us. We welcome comments, compliments and complaints about our service and will investigate any complaints fairly and promptly.
To make a comment or complaint, please email:
CITU Manager: CITU@coventry.gov.uk
What to do in an emergency or out of hours?
If you require an interpreter in an emergency during office hours please use the above contact details. For out of hours please use the telephone interpreting service.
How do I get a telephone interpreter?
This service is only available to Coventry City Council professionals. We use an external provider to access this service which requires a pin code and a set of instructions. To get your pin please contact the CITU office on the telephone number provided.
How do I get a Sign Language interpreter?
Again, this service is only available to Coventry City Council professionals. We use an external provider to access this service which requires an access code. To get your access code please contact the CITU office on the telephone number provided.
What if I need written translation?
CITU provides high quality written translations into various community languages. If you require this service please send your document preferably in Word format with the total number of words, if possible, and the deadline for the translations. Please remember all translations are done manually by experienced translators.
This service is also available to members of the public but payment is required at the time the request is made.
If the translation request is cancelled before the given deadline date you will be charged for the work that has already been completed.
For further information, please ring 024 7679 5506.
Providing a quality service
- All CITU Interpreters are DBS cleared
- Provide a high quality, professional and confidential service
- Interpreters are experienced and native language speakers
- Interpreters adhere to CITU's Code of Practice
- Supported by City Council's policies and procedures
We have produced our own Code of Practice which includes "Guidelines for Working with Interpreters".
We also provide training on, "How to work effectively with Interpreters". Please contact us for further information.
The above information is also available in leaflet form. Download a copy of 'CITU leaflet for practitioners'.
Please note: All services, face to face interpretation, written translation, telephone interpreting and sign language, are chargeable at the end of each month.
- Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm
- Friday: 9am to 4.30pm
Coventry Interpretation and Translation UnitAddress: Floor 9,
CV1 2GN or CV1 2GT (if using satnav)