- University of Birmingham Department of social policy and social work
- Course details
Stage 1 (Selection and Preparation) consists of Module 1:
- Preparing for Approved Mental Health Professional Practice (20 credits).
This module is designed to ensure candidates have a full understanding of and familiarity with the AMHP practice and the responsibilities entailed to enable them to benefit fully from the AMHP Qualifying Training Programme.
Candidates are required to:
Evaluate interventions in mental health demonstrating a critical analysis of the implications of different models of mental health and mental disorder for the services provided to service users and particularly the use made of compulsion
Critically analyse the role of risk assessment and management when acting as an AMHP
Critically analyse the power imbalances inherent when acting as an AMHP and the strategies AMHPs can employ to ameliorate the impact of those imbalances
Critically evaluate the differences in roles and responsibilities between an AMHP and undertaking other aspects of post-qualifying mental health work
Assessment is by a written analysis of a Mental Health Act Assessment taking place in the community in which the candidate's role is a shadowing one. This written piece of work should be between 5000 and 7000 words and must link theory to practice. The analysis must be counter‑signed to indicate that Practice Mentor/Assessor agrees that it demonstrates the competences claimed.
Five full days at University with a mixture of knowledge and skills development.
Release to attend a minimum of one day a month in the AMHP Hub
Plus, additional release for supervision, attendance at AMHP continuing professional development, attendance at the AMHP Forum,
Plus, additional release for completion of portfolio (4 days), additional release for shadowing assessments and evidence and experience gathering (5 days).
8 weeks of practice and knowledge assessment in your own area plus regular days out of your team with an AMHP Practice Mentor.
- Course length
- Five full days at University with a mixture of knowledge and skills development. 8 weeks of practice and knowledge assessment in your own area plus regular days out of your team with an AMHP Practice Mentor.
- Knowledge and Skills Framework
- The AMHP qualification course meets the criteria as set down by Department of Health Statutory Instrument 1206 Schedule 2 to the Mental Health (AMHP) (Approval) (England) Regulations 2008.
- Professional Capability Framework
- The College of Social Work undertook an exercise to map AMHP. Competency to the PCF https://www.basw.co.uk/social-work-training/professional-capabilities-framework-pcf
- Target group
Social Workers who have successfully completed the AMHP Foundation Year.
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org