- University of Birmingham Department of social policy and social work
- Course details
Stage 3 (Mentoring and Assessing the work of Other Mental Health Professionals) consists of Module 5:
- Mentoring and Assessing the Work of Other Mental Health Professionals (20 credits).
This module is optional and takes place after the AMHP Qualifying Training is complete.
Models and principles of adult learning. Principles and practice of evaluating learning. Issues of power and oppression in adult learning. Principles of assessment. Principles and skills in supervision and mentorship. The course is assessed at Masters Level.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate their ability to:
Organise opportunities for the demonstration of assessed competence.
Enable learning and professional development in practice.
Manage the assessment of learners in practice.
Agreement from your manager to release you to attend the course and to take on substantial responsibility for an AMHP candidate.
During the period of the course, you will be allocated an AMHP candidate to work alongside you and other AMHP’s both in your own team and other Mental Health/AAD teams.
During the period of the course, you will be expected to arrange assessments for your candidate, offer substantial supervision and support both from a practice perspective as well as an academic perspective. In addition, the applicant will be expected to meet the University selection criteria.
5 months or 8 months depending on stage of AMHP candidates course: (Part Time)
3.5 taught days plus attending up to 2 days with your AMHP candidate.
In addition, there will be a requirement for release to complete the required portfolio and provide supervision and observed assessments and arranging experiences for the AMHP candidate and working with the AMHP candidate and completing a 4000 assignment. (currently agreed as 9 days)
- Course length
- 8 months: Part Time 3.5 taught days plus attending up to 2 days with your AMHP stage 2 candidate.
- Knowledge and Skills Framework
- The AMHP qualification course meets the criteria as set down by Department of Health Statutory Instrument 1206 Schedule 2 to the Mental Health (AMHP) (Approval) (England) Regulations 2008.
- Professional Capability Framework
- The College of Social Work undertook an exercise to map AMHP. Competency to the PCF https://www.basw.co.uk/social-work-training/professional-capabilities-framework-pcf
- Target group
Qualified and Practising Approved Mental Health Professionals.
For further Information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org