Coventry City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR ) and is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This privacy notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we process personal data – the purpose and legal basis
We collect and hold personal information relating to Early Education funding, the Family Information Directory, prospective childcare providers, Early Years grants, Safeguarding, Workforce development, External training providers, Department Work and Pensions (DWP), brokerage and childcare sufficiency.
We use this information to:
- Provide information to parents, carers, prospective parents and professionals working with families.
- Use the information statistically to assess whether there is sufficient childcare in the local authority.
- Ensure early years children have access to their education entitlement
- Process financial payments
- Provide you with necessary and appropriate services
- Keep children safe
- Help us to develop and improve our services
- Complete statistical returns to Government departments
We process personal data because it is necessary to comply with our legal obligations under the Childcare Act 2006 and 2016 which requires Local Authorities to hold information on childcare providers in their area. 2006 Section 6, 7, 7A, 9A, 12 and 13. 2016 Section 1, and 2.
Who we share data with
If you are a childcare provider, we will share your data with:
- Prospective parents
- Professionals working with families
- Relevant council departments; Data Team, Digital Print and Mailroom, Ethnic Minority and Achievement Service (EMAS), Family Hubs, Finance,Information Governance, Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO), Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Early Years
- Government departments (HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Department for Education (DFE), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP))
If you are a parent, we will share your data with:
- Relevant council departments-;Data Team, Digital Print and Mailroom, EMAS, Family Hubs, Finance and SEND Early Years
- Government departments (HMRC, DFE,DWP)
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons.
You have the right to:
- Ask to see information that we hold about you (also known as a Subject Access Request)
- Withdraw consent (see below)
- Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use your information
- Data portability (have your data transferred to another Authority)
- Question decisions made about you by a computer
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office ( information below)
To exercise any of these rights please contact the Coventry Early Years' Service at EYCentral@coventry.gov.uk
Withdrawal of consent
Where personal data is processed on the basis of consent, you will have the right to withdraw that consent. However, Early Years' Service processes personal data that we need to because the law says we must, and to process funding claims.
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances, you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision. email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioner's Office at:
The Information Commissioner's Office,
Date of last review: June 2020