Complaints about a food item

We deal with complaints relating to food which has been bought in Coventry.

Take a look at our advice sheets on common food complaints before contacting us as this may provide you with the information you are looking for. 

We can investigate complaints such as mouldy or unfit food, contaminated food, or food that has a foreign object inside. 

What happens after I complain?

If you ask us to investigate a complaint about food that you have bought, it may be necessary for an officer to come to collect the item and visit your home to see how the food has been stored since you bought it. Where possible, please keep the product about which you are complaining, packaging, and any receipt you may have, and place the food in the freezer.

If you have access to a smartphone or camera, it may be useful to take a photograph of the food item and the alleged problem with it, before placing it in the freezer. Please take a photograph next to a ruler or item to scale (such as a coin). 

We will ask you to sign a food investigation form when you hand over your food complaint. This is to say that you understand the following:

  • We will not pursue compensation or a refund.
  • Once you hand over the complaint we will take whatever action we feel is appropriate.
  • You may or may not be able to have the complaint item back depending on the type of investigation we deem appropriate.

Make a complaint

Tell us about a problem with a food item.

Food and Safety team

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 08085 834333