What should I do if I think I am suffering from food poisoning?

If you are suffering from the symptoms of food poisoning, you should:

  • Visit your doctor as soon as possible and provide a faecal (poo) sample for testing. This should be able to determine what organism caused your illness.
  • Whilst you have symptoms (e.g. vomiting and/or diarrhoea) you should remain at home and observe high standards of personal hygiene. This will help prevent the spread to other family members.
  • If you are a food handler, or work with the elderly, young children or ill people, you should notify your employer, and do not return to work until you have been free from all symptoms for at least 48 hours.

Report suspected food poisoning

Food and Safety team

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)

Address: PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 08085 834333