If you fall behind on paying your rent, you will find yourself owing rent arrears. If this happens, take action as soon as possible:

If you don’t do this, your landlord may issue you with a formal eviction notice (Section 21 or a Section 8).  This means that you may be taken to court and face eviction.

Repayment plans

If you have rent arrears and are homeless, or looking to move properties, it is essential that you have a repayment plan so that you can lower your rent arrears and prevent them from getting larger.

Repayment plans:

  • show that you are committed to paying off your debts,
  • will give you a much greater chance of being re-housed.

Ensure that the rate of repayment is affordable to you, you can discuss this with your landlord. You may find it helpful to seek financial/debt advice. The advisors may be able to recommend an affordable amount and how you can fit this into your budget.

Landlords, including housing associations, will usually check if you have historical rent arrears from past tenancies, and will also check to see if you have any other outstanding debts from those tenancies. If you have historical debt from past tenancies, it is important that you declare this as part of your repayment plan so that this cannot be used against you later down the line.

Third-party deductions

A third-party dedication is when you have rent arrears and are in receipt of income-related benefits, have already discussed this with your landlord. You can apply for an amount to be deducted from those payments which will be paid directly to your landlord.

Third party deductions can be made from the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Getting a third-party deduction would mean your rent arrears would be paid off automatically and you will not have to worry about making extra payments to the landlord yourself. Third party deductions are usually only very small amounts, which is why it is important to deal with arrears as soon as they begin to build up.

You can get more advice from:

How do I get more help from the Council? 

If you have received an eviction notice because of rent arrears, tell us as soon as you can by registering with us.

Make a housing assistance referral [https://hpa2.org/referral/FormPage.aspx]

Need to read in another language?

Tell us what you think

Homelessness Advice Service

If you are homeless and have nowhere safe to stay tonight, please call 024 7683 4025. Our phone lines are open 9am – 3.30pm Monday to Friday. For out of hours emergencies please call 024 7683 2222. If you are worried you may be at risk of losing your home, you can access help by completing an online referral.

Telephone: 024 7683 4025 [tel:02476834025]

Young people experiencing homelessness

If you are aged 16-24, are a single or a couple, and do not have children, you can access the Housing & Homelessness service by contacting the Coventry Youth Hub.

Telephone: 0121 269 1940 [tel:01212691940]