We understand relationship breakdowns can have a major impact on your housing circumstances. This may be due to:

  • Financial pressure as a result of reduced income.
  • Confusion about exercising your housing rights and matters regarding your children.

Your rights

Use Shelter's tenancy rights checker to see what type of tenancy you have and the rights associated with it.

Being asked to leave by a friend or family member?

The Homelessness Advice Service may be able to help you remain in the property by negotiating with your friends or family members. We may also arrange for a visiting officer to visit your home and speak with your friends or family about remaining there short term, whilst we work with you to find somewhere else to live.

If you are worried that it may be unsafe for you to remain living with your partner following a relationship breakdown or believe that you may be experiencing domestic violence or abuse, please see our advice on domestic abuse and harassment.

If you face threats of violence contact the police on 101. If the crime is happening now, call 999.

How do I get more help from the Council?

If you are at risk of becoming homeless, you can tell us by registering with us.

Register now

Need to read in another language?

Tell us what you think

Homelessness Advice Service

If you are homeless and have nowhere safe to stay tonight, you can contact our emergency assessment team on 024 7683 4025. Our phone lines can be very busy, you will need to hold to speak to an advisor. Unfortunately, we are unable to deal with general enquiries via our phone line. If you have a general enquiry, please email us. For out of hours emergencies, please call 024 7683 2222.

Telephone: 024 7683 4025