Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and will focus our efforts on the most critical elements. In doing so disruption to many services is likely.

Read our latest update


Relationship breakdown

Relationship breakdowns can have a major impact on your housing circumstances. This may be due to meeting the costs of your accommodation on a reduced income, knowing and exercising your housing rights, planning a move to alternate accommodation and matters regarding your children. Contact our Homelessness Prevention Service if you think you are going to be homeless in the next 56 days or need housing advice. 

What are my rights? 

Use Shelter's tenancy rights checker to see what type of tenancy you have and the rights associated with it. Our leaflet has more information about your rights if you are living with an ex partner. Our leaflet provides more information about your rights depending on whether you rented or owned your home with your previous partner. 

Parental eviction 

If you are being asked to leave by your parents or family, it is important that you seek advice at an early stage and do not wait until you are homeless. The Homelessness Prevention Service may be able to help you to remain in the property by negotiating with your family members and planning alternative arrangements if necessary. We are also able to offer access to independent mediation services who work with families to resolve disputes and mend relationships. As such referrals to a formal mediation process may be necessary. We will also refer to the Through Care and MASH teams for cases involving care leavers and under 18s. 

Read our self-help pack for if your parent wants you to move out.

Organisations that can help 

  • Advice Services Coventry lists the different agencies in the city who work together to offer free, independent advice and information.
  • Shelter provides a range of housing advice and support. Call 0344 515 1944.
  • Coventry Citizens Advice provides independent, impartial and confidential advice for a range of situations. Call 03444 111 444 for the national helpline. Or drop-in at Kirby House, Little Park Street, CV1 2JZ. 9:30am to 1pm Monday to Friday. 
  • The Coventry Law Centre provides free legal advice on housing and family law among others. Call 024 7622 3053 for more information. See also their Benefits Aware website

Accessing the Homelessness Prevention Service

The earlier you get in touch with us, the more likely we’ll be able to resolve your housing situation. Call the Homelessness Prevention Service on 024 7683 4025. 

Priority need for accommodation

Due to new homelessness legislation, you do not need to have a certain level of need (priority need) or have links to a council area (local connection) to access the Homelessness Prevention Service. Priority Need will only affect whether you are entitled to interim accommodation if you become homeless (the relief duty) or owed the main housing duty.

This means that we may provide you with short-term accommodation if you meet a certain level of need. We will look at your situation and any people who are dependent on you to make a decision.

For further details on what gives you a priority need or a local connection, call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 and see the government's code of guidance.

Homelessness Prevention Service


Tel: 024 7683 4025

Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?