Causes of an overpayment

The amount of benefit you get to help you pay your rent depends on what you tell us when you make your claim. If your circumstances change then your Housing Benefit may change too.

It is your responsibility to tell us about any change in your circumstance or a change in circumstance of the people living with you have, which might affect your claim.

If you do not tell us straight away, you may be paid more Housing Benefit than you're entitled to, which is called an overpayment. We will ask you to pay the overpayment back.

You can avoid an overpayment if you know a change is going to take place by telling us in writing before it happens or tell us as soon as the change happens.

If you have informed the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC) about a change, this does not mean that they will pass the information on to the Benefits Service. You must also tell the Benefits Service yourself.

Housing Benefit Overpayment Team

Address: Revenues and Benefits
PO Box 15
Council House
Earl Street

Telephone: 024 7683 4098