A temporary play street is a resident-led, outdoor, free activity to help children's play. It allows a group of residents to close a road on a regular basis over a period of up to a year, so there is no danger or inconvenience from traffic.
- It is independent from the Council and needs parent/adult supervision to make sure children are safe.
- The road is closed temporarily and car access is restricted (but not stopped - residents take turns to 'steward' cars needing to get to or from their properties).
- A temporary road closure cannot take place more than once a week and full access is allowed for residents and their vehicles at all times.
- Suitable 'play streets' are preferably quiet residential roads or cul-de-sacs and should be closed until no later than sunset.
- Each closure can last for up to a maximum of three hours and full consultation must be carried out with all affected residents/businesses at the application stage.
'Playing Out' is an organisation which promotes children's play - please visit the Playing Out website for more information or advice on how to organise this kind of event.
For further details about the application process and to submit an application, please download the Play Streets application form.