Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Hiring out horses licence

Pages in Hiring out horses licence

  1. Hiring out horses licence
  1. Applying for a hiring out horses licence

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in Coventry, you need a licence from the Council.

In order to make an application for a riding establishment in England and Wales applicants must not have been disqualified from the following:

  • Keeping a riding establishment. 
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951. 
  • Having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954.
  • Keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.
  • Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals. 
  • Owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

Applicants must be aged 18 or over.


The cost of a Hiring out horses licence is £345.00 plus vet inspection fees.

A licence is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued. You will need to renew the licence after this period.

Animal welfare

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 07976 736957

Coventry City Council

Is there anything wrong with this page?