Employment and skills service privacy notice
Coventry City Council complies with the Data Protection Act and the GDPR and is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as a Data Controller.
This Privacy Notice explains how personal information is going to be used, what for, who it will be shared with and why.
Why we collect and use Personal Data about you
We collect your personal information relating to relating to benefits applications, benefits you already receive and Council Tax so that we can:
- Use that information to enable us to offer you targeted help and support based on your individual circumstances.
- Enter into a contract with you to do what we are required to as part of your contract with an ESF funded programme.
We use this information to:
- Identify and provide you with the services you need
- Let you know what services you can apply for
- Help us develop and improve our services
- Send reports to government departments
- Identify employment and training opportunities
- Send you information you need
- Deliver targeted help and support to assist you on your journey into work or education as required by our grant funders.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect and hold the following information about you
- Full name
- Contact details
- Education and employment history
- Financial information - such as income from benefits and debts owed, to assist you with breaking down financial barriers on your journey into work or education
- Any health or disability issues as self-declared at registration that may impact on the types of help and support, we offer you.
- family circumstances – such as who you live with and their employment status
- Your emergency contact details
- housing information - such homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Criminal convictions you have.
Who we share your Personal Data with?
We share data with:
- Potential employers – So that you can apply for vacancies or opportunities
- Our partner organisations – If they are offering support that you may need
- Housing organisations – If you need help with housing
- Training providers – When you need to be referred
- External organisations – Only when we have identified support that you need from them
- Charitable organisations – so that they can support you with charity grant applications
- Other internal Council departments
How long will we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we need to, so we can give you the service you need, unless we must keep it for legal reasons. We will keep information about you for 6 years after the last contact for Management. For ESF Grant funded programmes we will keep it 10 years after the end of the programme.
You have the right to:
- Ask to see the personal information we hold about you
- Ask us to change information we hold about you if it is wrong
- Ask us to delete the information we hold about you
- Ask us to limit the way we use your personal information
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office
To exercise any of these rights please contact: The Employment and Skills Team on 024 7678 5740 or email: [email protected]
You have the right to submit a complaint if you are unhappy with the way your request is handled or disagree with a decision made by the council regarding your data. In these circumstances you can contact the Data Protection Team (DPO) and request a review of the decision. [email protected]
If you are not satisfied with any outcome from the DPO you may wish to apply to the Information Commissioners Office at:
The Information Commissioner’s Office,
Date of last review: May 2020